FRIENDS OF WESTERN GATEWAY DOG PARK
Article I – Name, Address and Purpose
The Gold Country Dog Park Association, is a non-profit 501(c)3 California Corporation (Federal ID #32-0227041) dba Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park.
Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park
P.O. Box 5
Penn Valley, CA 95946
Street Address and Purpose (Mission Statement):
"Friends" is dedicated to the improvement and maintenance of the dog park located at 18562 Penn Valley Drive in Penn Valley. Our mission is to provide all dogs with open space, fresh air, exercise and socialization free of the leash.
Article II - Membership
1. Active Members – Individual and family members who have paid their current annual dues are entitled to hold office, vote, speak, debate, and make motions. Businesses are not entitled to become members.
2. Donors/Sponsors – Individuals and families who are not members but who donate to the dog park, are not entitled to vote. Businesses who donate or sponsor are likewise not entitled to vote.
Qualifications of Members:
Membership in Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park shall be open to anyone supportive of our dog park, regardless of place of residence.
Application Procedure: Members must complete a dog park flier or online donation form and submit it along with their cash, check or credit card payment to Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park (FWGDP). Credit card payments must be made through the website.
Annual Dues and Advertising Fees:
1. Members shall pay $10 per person or $15 per family every 12 months in order to maintain active status.
2. There shall be no charge for links listed in the Resource section of the website, or for dog related businesses posting on the bulletin board at the dog park.
3. Banner sponsors shall pay $150 annual space rent to provide their own 3ft X 4ft banner, or pay $300 annual space rent to provide their own 3ft X 8ft banner. (A free website listing is also included with this rental agreement.) Payment shall be due every 12 months from the date the banner is submitted to the dog park for hanging on one of its fences. Maintaining the banner in good condition is the responsibility of the sponsoring business.
Article III - Meetings of Members and Board of Directors
Annual Membership Meetings...An Annual Membership Meeting at Buttermakers Cottage shall be held each June or shortly thereafter. The meeting shall be held for the purpose of handling any important issues that should arise and to involve the membership in any future plans. ( The election of officers for the following 2-year term shall be held biennially during this meeting.)
10% of the Active Membership is needed for voting at any Membership Meeting. Each Active Member is entitled to one vote. Voting by Proxy is not allowed.
Special Membership Meetings...A Special Membership Meeting may also be called by the President or a majority of the Board of Directors, or upon written request of at least one-tenth of the Active Members.
Board of Directors Meetings...The Board of Directors shall meet quarterly at Buttermakers Cottage or the dog park at 2 pm on the third Wednesday in March, May, August and November of each year. It can also meet beforehand in person, via email or conference call if deemed necessary by the President and Board.
A Quorum consisting of 51% of the Board of Directors is needed to conduct business at any Board Meeting.
All Board Meetings shall be posted by the President on the bulletin board at the dog park and on the website, no less than one week prior to the date of such meetings.
Article IV - Board of Directors and their Duties
Term of Office:
The term of office for Board Members shall be two years. The term begins the first day following the close of the meeting at which officers are elected.
Eligibility, Guidelines and Election Nominations :
Board Members must hold Active Memberships.
To avoid the appearance of a possible conflict of interest, no Board Member of Western Gateway Park shall be allowed to simultaneously serve as a Board Member of Western Gateway Dog Park. Likewise, no elected Officer of the dog park shall be able to perform paid labor for the dog park.
Anyone wishing to hold office or nominate a person for office at the Annual Membership Meeting during the year for elections shall notify the Secretary by April 1st. A Proposed Slate of Officers will be posted on the bulletin board no later than May 1st of that year.
Election of the new Officers for the following term shall be held on a biennial basis at the Annual Membership Meeting in June. Only Active Members may vote.
A vacancy in any Officer’s position shall be filled by an election and majority vote of the other Board Members at any Board of Directors Meeting. The newly elected Officer shall fill that position for the remainder of the existing term of office.
The presence of a simple majority (51%) of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for voting purposes.
Any agreement for improvements or changes to the Dog Park, or for goods or services, must be approved by a majority vote of the Dog Park Board and Western Gateway beforehand . (Routine maintenance and supplies for proper functioning of the Dog Park will not require such approval.)
Officers of the Board:
The Officers of Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park are also known as the Board of Directors. Additional positions may be established when deemed necessary by the Board of Directors. Each position is entitled to one vote. The current officers' positions are as follows:
1. The President shall develop and distribute the agenda for all Board of Directors Meetings and all Membership Meetings, in addition to presiding at said meetings. The President shall also call Special Board of Directors Meetings and Special Membership Meetings as necessary.
2. The President shall appoint the chairpersons of committees.
3. The President shall officially represent Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park or designate an appropriate representative.
4. The President shall act as the Corporation’s agent to sign and execute all authorized documents, except in cases in which the signing and execution shall have been expressly delegated to another officer or agent of the Corporation.
5. The President shall have possession of the Friends credit card for misc. minor expenditures, plus a few blank checks to pay for day labor under $500.
6. The President shall be responsible for organizing and executing the Annual Rattlesnake Avoidance Training Clinic held at the dog park.
7. The President shall maintain the website, the current member/donor contact list, the Facebook page, and the master files for the dog park which are not held in storage at the main park.
8. The President shall keep the bulletin boards up to date and make sure all brick and membership/donor fliers are readily available. The President shall also monitor operations at the dog park and take action where necessary.
1. The Vice President shall preside at all meetings of Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park and the Board of Directors in the absence of the President.
2. The Vice President shall also perform such other duties as prescribed by the President and the Board of Directors.
1. The Secretary shall record, transcribe, distribute and maintain the Minutes of all Board of Directors and all Membership Meetings. The Secretary shall email a copy of the Minutes to the President within one week after any meeting, or as soon as possible thereafter.
2. The Secretary shall also perform such other duties as prescribed by the President and the Board of Directors.
1. The Treasurer shall collect the mail, and issue "thank you" acknowledgements with receipts via email/or letter for all monetary or in-kind donations, banner rentals and special event fees made during the year.
2. The Treasurer shall keep an accurate account balance of all monies given to Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park for deposit to Westamerica Bank in Penn Valley, make all authorized payments, and file all required tax forms. (Note: All checks for expenditures over $500 shall require the signature of both the Treasurer and President.)
3. The Treasurer shall submit a current written financial report at all Board of Directors Meetings and all Membership Meetings and distribute copies as necessary.
4. The Treasurer shall review any audits and take appropriate action.
5. The Treasurer shall also perform such other duties as prescribed by the President and the Board of Directors.
1. The Board shall have at least 2 and no more than 4 Directors at any one time.
2. Directors shall be considered Representatives at Large and shall be responsible for accomplishing any appointed task that might be assigned by the President and Board of Directors.
Article V – Future Committees
1. Operations Committee (for Maintenance of the Dog Park)
2. Ways and Means Committee (Fundraisers)
3. Membership/Volunteer Committee (to Increase Membership and Volunteers)
4. Other Committees shall be appointed as necessary. (The President appoints all Committee Chairs.)
Article VI - Amendments to these Bylaws
These Bylaws may be amended at any Membership Meeting of Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park by a majority vote of the active members, based upon quorum set in Article III.
The proposed amendment(s) shall have been posted at the dog park for review no later than ten days prior to voting at the Membership Meeting at which time a vote shall be taken. The proposed amendment(s) shall also be submitted to the President and Board of Directors at least 10 days prior to the meeting.
Article VII – Miscellaneous
1. Parliamentary Authority: The rules in the current version of Robert's Rules of Order shall govern Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park in all cases to which they are applicable, provided they are not inconsistent with Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park Bylaws or any rules it may adopt. A parliamentarian may be appointed by the President.
2. The Financial and Membership Year shall be from January 1st to December 31st.
3. The Board of Directors may appoint/hire consultants or counsel as deemed necessary to transact business for Friends of Western Gateway Dog Park.
4. The Board of Directors shall be empowered to make editorial changes in the text that do not constitute amendments to these Bylaws, including such changes as are ordered by the appropriate authority in accordance with Incorporation in the State of California.
The original Bylaws adopted at the Membership Meeting held on June 25th, 2014, were certified by Melinda Simpkins, past Recording Secretary. They went into effect on July 26th, 2014.
The Bylaws were amended at the Annual Membership Meeting held on July 20th, 2015 and were certified by Karen Bunnell, past Recording Secretary. They went into effect on July 21st, 2015.
The Bylaws may be amended again at the next Annual Membership Meeting in 2018 if deemed necessary.